how to fix the modaddr?

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Tue Jun 24 22:26:19 CEST 2008

On Tue Jun 24, 2008 at 11:28:46 +0800, fangzhengshu wrote:
> when I write the menu.lst I don't know how to fix the modaddr. I have
> see some examples of menu.lst ,but some are maybe 0x2000000 and some are
> maybe 0x6000000.could some tell me why and how to fix the modaddr?
> thank you!

The modaddr tells GRUB where to start putting the following modules in
physical memory. This is needed so that GRUB does not use areas of
memory that we want to use ourselves, i.e. areas where we want to put
our kernel and programs. Consequently this means that the modaddr must
be within the range of physical memory and give enough place to put all
loaded modules behind it. And it must be big enough that after loading
all programs fit before it. Using 0x2000000 (32MB) is usually fine.

Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de