Hardware detection in L4

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Wed Oct 15 23:11:04 CEST 2008

On Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 09:13:31 +0200, Gianfranco Ricci wrote:
> I am working on a project that makes it necessary to have some agent
> application with hardware detection capabilities.
>
> Therefore my question is, if there is any L4 library or kernel interface
> that can be used to get information on detected and hot-plugged hardware
> in the system.
> Best would be a solution that provides callbacks to get informed on any
> change in the hardware automatically.

The handling of hot-plugging must be done by those drivers which are
handling this piece of hardware. E.g. if you have a USB host controller
driver, this driver will get notifications and can then propagate those
to others. There's currently no driver (infrastructure) which is doing
hot-pluging, AFAIK. L4Linux is an exception but it's probably not
counting here.

Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de