Boot Fiasco at ARM on QEMU

Tsai, Tung-Chieh tsaitungchieh at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 14:52:20 CEST 2008

Dear Adam,

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 4:56 AM, Adam Lackorzynski
<adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de> wrote:
> You could enable IPC logging to see why task 6 can't properly talk to
> task 5. E.g. if task 5 (names) is called at all, more generally what's
> a more detailed error message than what we have now.

How to enable IPC logging ?

> How much memory did you configure? (RAM_SIZE_MB)

256 MB

And I found that if I build l4 by :

    make -C l4 O=/my/build/dir/

It build fiasco kernel on `.../kernel/fiasco/build/` with ia32 architecture no
matter what architecture I set in  :

    make -C l4 O=/my/build/dir/ config

So there's a problem if I do not choose BID_BUILD_L4DIR_ONLY=y on any
architecture except ia32.

I guess this is because in `.../l4/Makefile` line 88 :

tool ../kernel/fiasco pkg: ../dice
   $(VERBOSE)if [ -r $@/Makefile ]; then PWD=$(PWD)/$@ $(MAKE) -C $@; fi

It won't give any setting to build `../kernel/fiasco` , and then by default,
it set DFL_TEMPLATE:=ia32-short in `.../kernel/fiasco/Makefile`, so it will
build ia32 architecture fiasco kernel.

I've try to fixed it, but I don't found any variable could be used to set
DFL_TEMPLATE in `.../l4/Makefile` match the globalconfig.out template
file in `.../kernel/fiasco/src/templates/` such as 'arm-int1'.

I think why not let `.../l4/Makefile` unable to build fiasco kernel ? Or is
there any package unless bootstrap need fiasco kernel image ?

--
Best Regards,
Tsai, Tung-Chieh