Boot Fiasco at ARM on QEMU

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Tue Oct 21 23:34:46 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Tue Oct 21, 2008 at 20:52:20 +0800, Tsai, Tung-Chieh wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 4:56 AM, Adam Lackorzynski
> <adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de> wrote:
> > You could enable IPC logging to see why task 6 can't properly talk to
> > task 5. E.g. if task 5 (names) is called at all, more generally what's
> > a more detailed error message than what we have now.
> >
> > How much memory did you configure? (RAM_SIZE_MB)
> >

> 256 MB
>
> And I found that if I build l4 by :
>
>     make -C l4 O=/my/build/dir/
>
> It build fiasco kernel on `.../kernel/fiasco/build/` with ia32 architecture no
> matter what architecture I set in  :
>
>     make -C l4 O=/my/build/dir/ config
>
> So there's a problem if I do not choose BID_BUILD_L4DIR_ONLY=y on any
> architecture except ia32.
>
> I guess this is because in `.../l4/Makefile` line 88 :
>
> tool ../kernel/fiasco pkg: ../dice
>    $(VERBOSE)if [ -r $@/Makefile ]; then PWD=$(PWD)/$@ $(MAKE) -C $@; fi
>
> It won't give any setting to build `../kernel/fiasco` , and then by default,
> it set DFL_TEMPLATE:=ia32-short in `.../kernel/fiasco/Makefile`, so it will
> build ia32 architecture fiasco kernel.
>
> I've try to fixed it, but I don't found any variable could be used to set
> DFL_TEMPLATE in `.../l4/Makefile` match the globalconfig.out template
> file in `.../kernel/fiasco/src/templates/` such as 'arm-int1'.

It's on purpose that when doing 'make' in the l4 directory everything is
built (user-space, dice, kernel). If you just want to build the
packages, go to l4/pkg and do make there. If you just want to build the
kernel, go to the kernel build directory and do make there. And there's
also the option to disable building anything outside l4 as you already
found out.

> I think why not let `.../l4/Makefile` unable to build fiasco kernel ? Or is
> there any package unless bootstrap need fiasco kernel image ?

Of course some kernel needs to be there when doing a real
bootstrap.image. bootstrap builds some build-only image on default so it
won't fail.

Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de