SATA AHCI driver head banging.

Daniel Waddington d.waddington at samsung.com
Sat Jul 21 01:07:46 CEST 2012

Hi,
I am trying to build a SATA driver for our Fiasco.OC personality. The
h/w is a Intel 82801J IOCH in a PC platform.

I get can pick up the device in the PCI, get BAR5 and map in the control
registers.  I then initialize the card (into AHCI mode), set up memory
(command list and command tables) and try to do an IDENTIFY_DEVICE
command.  The command issues, and returns a PIO Setup FIS (type 5f).
PxTFD.STS.DRQ=1 PxTFD.STS.BSY=0 PxSERR=0 PxSACT=1.  The PIO setup FIS
indicates a transfer count of 512 bytes (which is correct).  All good so
far, but then no interrupt happens and no more FISes appear - and I
don't know what to do next.  The same behavior occurs on another PC
platform with a IOCH9 controller.

I have not done anything w.r.t. configuring or re-routing IRQs in the
PCI subsystem (a black hole to me). Is there something that is a must
that I'm clearly missing here??

Any clues, much appreciated.

Daniel