ARM & caches (was 'Fiasco.OC performance issues')

Sebastian Sumpf Sebastian.Sumpf at genode-labs.com
Thu Feb 28 21:31:44 CET 2013

Hi Dmitry,

On 02/27/2013 04:20 PM, Dmitry Shubin wrote:
> On 02/20/2013 08:54 PM, Sebastian Sumpf wrote:
>> Hi Adam,

>>> Please check the current version, there are fixes for both the IPC issue
>>> and hopefully also for the L2 issue.
>>
>> Good stuff! The IPC issue is gone completely and the board starts as
>> fast as in the single core case. The cache issue is unfortunately still
>> around. The strange thing is, that it only seems to occur when using our
>> HDMI driver. One can observe small black lines in the lower left corner
>> which seem to be 32 bytes (cache-line size?) long and it looks like they
>> occur on page boundaries only. Beats me. All other drivers seem to work
>> fine.
>>
>> Thanks for your efforts,
>>
>> Sebastian

> Hi, Sebastian.
>
> I've just played around with demo that comes with Genode
> (git: ce075c05b9f54) a bit and my experience differs from yours.
> I'll try to summarize what I've found so far.
>
> (1) Issues with u-boot:
>
> (1.a) I've been told elsewhere that CONFIG_SYS_L2CACHE_OFF option
> matters when building u-boot. It does not seem to be the case however,
> present or not it does not affect observed behavior. Anyway, that is
> just something to keep in mind.

Indeed, it doesn't matter any more, since Fiasco.OC revision 42 the
kernel will enable the L2-cache, so u-boot is out of the game.

> (1.b) u-boot version on the other hand matters. For instance omap_fb
> doesn't work with u-boot from master branch (47104c37), nothing shows
> up on the screen. I've got better luck with the version tagged
> 'v2012.04.01'.

Yes, it's always a bit tricky to find the right version that initializes
stuff correctly.

> (2) Black lines in the corner of the screen: I've actually observed
> them without L2 cache turned on. The effect is less pronounced
> (usually just 1 or 2 lines), they don't show up every time (!) and
> disappear after you click anywhere on the screen or just drag a mouse
> cursor over. So, this may or may not be L2 issue.

I did by now too. It is a cache issue and does not show up this often
because the L1 cache is way smaller than the L2 one.

> (3) Other drivers don't work for me as you claim they are when L2 is
> turned on. Namely, usb_drv fails to detect whatever you plug in most
> of the time, and when it succeeds the device doesn't work anyway.

Also true. I can tell you my current state of the affair: As mentioned
above the ARM manual states that mapping a page as cached and uncached
at the same time results in undefined behavior. Unfortunately DMA memory
is mapped in 'roottask/core' as cached memory, which is enforced by the
sigma0 protocol. So what the roottask does, when a client requests DMA
memory, is to zero out that cached memory, clean and invalidate the
caches, and map the page 'uncached' to the client. What happens next is
very weird. We inspected the caches after cleaning them (we cleaned them
completely for the test) using a hardware debugger, they are indeed
empty/all lines invalid, we also made sure that there are no accesses to
the cached memory from roottask's side and guess what? After some
interaction with this memory on the uncached client side, there appear a
lot of valid zeroed out cache lines in both caches. After a while these
cache lines will be evicted, which in turn causes memory corruption at
the client side. Today one of my colleagues suggested to clear the data
TLB as well, but that made no difference.
If we omit the cleanup of the DMA memory, which we don't want to, at the
roottask everything works out fine.
So what is the problem here? Maybe these are the results of the
'undefined behavior'. I don't know for sure. If anyone on this list
finds out something, let me know.

Cheers,

Sebastian