how to debug fiasco kernel

Martin Unzner munzner at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Tue Apr 2 22:20:48 CEST 2013

I use GDB stubs exclusively, in Bochs as well as in QEMU (I did not try
L4/Fiasco on other virtual machines so far, and only a few times on
physical hardware). There are approaches for debugging in the L4 runtime
environment, such as Valgrind and probably also GDB (although I am not
sure about that). They are usually quite old and not all of them still
work. If you like, you can take a look at some of the work presented at
http://www.inf.tu-dresden.de/index.php?node_id=1701 and
http://www.inf.tu-dresden.de/index.php?node_id=1429 .

Anyway, at least with simple applications, my first approach is usually
a close examination of the code: go through all your setup, and if you
are unsure at some point whether you did it right or not, try to type
your problem into Google. If you cannot find anything, send an e-mail to
the list. People here are usually very nice and patient and they will be
happy to help.

Regards!

Martin

P.S.: I answered you using the mailing list, and I would like to ask you
to use the "Reply to list" or "Reply to all" button of your e-mail
client, so that everyone can follow the discussion and benefit from our
findings.