Questions about Fiasco.OC and L4Re

BogDan bog_dan_ro at yahoo.com
Thu May 9 20:16:17 CEST 2013

Hello,

  First I'd like to introduce myself, I'm BogDan Vatra a free software hacker.

  Recently I've watched these http://wiki.tudos.org/HOWTOs#Introduction_to_Fiasco.OC_and_L4Re presentations on youtube. After I've seen them (many many times) I became fascinated. I started to "play" a little bit with Fiasco.OC and L4Re, I created a few apps and I must confess that I'm extremely impressed by your work. To me Fiasco.OC and L4Re seems way too good to be true, and I wonder if there are any "hidden traps" which prevents people to use it to create a general-purpose operating system on top of Fiasco.OC and L4Re, so my first question is: Can Fiasco.OC and L4Re be used to create free (GPL, BSD, apache, etc.) and non-free apps? I checked L4Re licenses and it seems that it has the necessary exceptions, but I'd like to be 100% sure :).
I also look to Genode frameowrk and I it looks to me that it cannot be used to create non-GPL apps, so, it can not be used to create a general-purpose operating system where any kind of apps can run on it.

I also have a few questions about the completeness of Fiasco.OC and L4Re:
- does L4Re have any OpenGL support? I checked the source code and it seems that the only way to do graphics is via goos and it doesn't seem to have any OpenGL support. If I am right wouldn't be easier to port (and upstream) an existing server (e.g. xorg, wayland, mir, etc.) to L4Re, than to create one from scratch and maintain it?

 - does L4Re have any sound support? If it hasn't, then how hard will be to implement or to port an existing implementation?

 - does L4Re have any real filesystem support (e.g. ext2/3/4, xfs, raiser, etc.)? It is ok for testing to use qemu or grub to load simple apps, but for a real o.s., apps need to be loaded from disk. Again, if it hasn't, then how hard will to implement it or to port an existing implementation?

 - it is possible to use a debugger (e.g gdb(server)) to debug (user space) apps?

 - last but not least, is there any repository for Fiasco.OC and L4Re with logs? http://svn.tudos.org/repos/oc/tudos/trunk/ has no useful logs and IMHO it makes very hard any contribution to it. I've seen that you have a few repos on github (https://github.com/TUD-OS), do you have any plans to move Fiasco.OC and L4Re to github as well? IMHO being able to fork a repository and to create a pull request, to be able to open an issue and watch its progress will make contributors life much more easier :) !

Many thanks for your work!

Yours,
BogDan.