l4-hackers Digest, Vol 124, Issue 4

Lluís Vilanova vilanova at ac.upc.edu
Tue Aug 6 11:55:41 CEST 2013

Adam Lackorzynski writes:

> On Mon Aug 05, 2013 at 14:08:40 +0300, Lluís Vilanova wrote:
>> Adam Lackorzynski writes:

>> > Use grub1 is a quick tip, possibly via netboot (pxegrub). A short look
>> > at current grub2 shows me some interesting and likely changed behaviour
>> > but I didn't check further right now.
>>
>> > https://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/~adam/grub/0.97/
>>
>> Oh! I forgot to add that everything but the serial console works. I suppose I'll
>> have to manually copy any timing numbers I print from my experiments.
>>
>> Just in case, here's my grub1 entry:
>>
>> title L4 (original)
>> root (hd1,0)
>> kernel /l4-orig/bootstrap -serial
>> module /l4-orig/fiasco -serial_esc -comspeed 115200 -comport 0
>> module /l4-orig/l4f/sigma0
>> module /l4-orig/l4f/moe --init=rom/hello
>> module /l4-orig/l4f/l4re
>> module /l4-orig/l4f/hello

> That looks ok and should just work. Does it work under Qemu? Is it a
> plain normal serial? Is it working in Grub?

It works flawlessly under QEMU. The Grub menu also shows up on the serial
console of the real machine, but once bootstrap is started, only the screen
works.

In case it might shed some light, I have this on the "/etc/default/grub" file of
the real machine (Grub from Debian testing):

    GRUB_TERMINAL=console
    GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND="serial --unit=0 --speed=115200 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1"

Thanks,
  Lluis

 Tollbooth