Desktop Environment

Christian Ludwig chrissicool at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 16 18:30:20 CEST 2013

Hi.

On 16.08.2013 17:19, Bryan Amato wrote:
> I have been using Linux for sometime and only recently tried a special
> version of BSD, named Dragonfly BSD.  What I liked about Dragonfly is
> that the kernel is not a monolithic kernel.  However BSD is not really
> for me, I prefer the comfort of Linux, so I began searching around the
> web for a non-monolithic version of the Linux kernel and I came across
> L4Linux.  Looking at the screenshots, I don't see any modern DE's.  Does
> L4L support those desktops like KDE, Gnome and E17?

I think you are confusing some things here. DragonflyBSD is a monolithic
kernel and so is Linux.

L4Linux is simply a port of the upstream Linux kernel to an L4
microkernel. That means Linux runs as user program and not the system
kernel in the first place. But that does not make Linux itself
non-monolithic.

Besides that you can run any modern Linux userland on top of L4Linux.
That also includes KDE, Gnome or E17. You can also run latest Ubuntu on
it if you wish.

Cheers.

 - Christian