Files that Tune Kernel

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Sun Aug 18 00:54:46 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 11:01:04 -0500, Bryan Amato wrote:
> I was wondering what files are the ones that increase the performance of
> the kernel, besides kernel.hz.  Reading in a post by L4, they say that the
> kernel was not tuned like the Mach Linux port.  But I wanted to edit those
> files to increase performance and to also learn more about what that
> particular file does.  I tried doing this once, but my whole kernel got
> corrupted from my lack of knowing what is able to be edited and things that
> had to be there so it could be booted properly.

Typically such seettngs are done via configuration of the kernel ('make
config) and not by editing files. Also the default settings provide a
good mix between performance and debugability. So I suggest leaving them
as they are. If you're into benchmarking, you may want to look out for
the print out while boot up and configure accordingly (e.g. switch off
frame pointers).

Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de