IRQ request from server to client and server.loop()

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Thu Dec 19 00:36:13 CET 2013

Hi,

On Wed Dec 18, 2013 at 12:08:39 +0100, cem akpolat wrote:
> I am quite new to the microkernel concept and I am trying to somehow
> build an IRQ mechanism between client and server. There are two
> questions that I want to ask:
>
> 1- Is it possible to receive an IRQ message being sent by Server on
> the client and handle it? I tried to apply that on the shared_ds
> examples. However what I see is the IRQ registration could be done
> only on the server side. How can a client, in a shared memory
> case,receive an IRQ request from server and how can a server send an
> IRQ request (in other words trigger an IRQ) to the client.

For something such as shared memory, typically two IRQs are used, one
for each direction. So both sides can trigger the other and also receive
notifications.

> 2- How can we remove or disable the server.loop mechanism? What is the
> role of this function?

This function implements the receiving part of a server and dispatches
incoming messages into the server functions that you're probably seen in
the examples. If you do not want to use that server-loop functionality,
for example, because it does not fit your needs, you just do something
different replacing the server.loop() call. Is that your intention?

Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de