l4linux: l4x_setup_memory:Cant get main memory

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Thu Jul 18 23:58:48 CEST 2013

On Thu Jul 18, 2013 at 16:42:26 +0200, Rudolf Weber wrote:
> thank you for the answer.
> CONFIG_L4_VCPU is enabled in the src/l4linux/arch/l4/configs/x86-native_defconfig,
> CONFIG_L4_VPCI have to be enabled.

Yes, sorry, I meant CONFIG_L4_VPCI.

> But following compiling-error appears:
> /home/rw/l4exp/l4re-snapshot-2013060718/src/l4linux/drivers/pnp/resource.c:70: undefined reference to `pcibios_penalize_isa_irq'
>
> I researched and think, that pcibios_penalize_isa_irq make no sense in the arch/l4.

Just not enabling CONFIG_PNP is enough here, no need to change source.

> The Booting-Result is better now, but an new error occurs:
>
> l4linux | Invalid IO-Port access at pc = 0080b476 port=0x110
>
> In the System.map I found
> 0080b400 t el3_init_module
> which is in the src/l4linux/drivers/net/ethernet/3com/3c509.c - Module.
> Here the driver scans the io ports 0x110,0x120,...,0x200
>
> Ok - I will throw it out.
>
> But what is the strategy ?
> Should l4linux get all io ports for all devices - with exception of
> the devices which serve other servers ?
> Should l4linux have modules for all not important devices ?
>
> How do you solve it ?

A good approach is to start with an L4Linux config without any hardware
drivers and just add those that you want to have in L4Linux. The other
way around we mean to give L4Linux basically access to the whole
platform which is usually not the goal. Maybe you could also start from
the x86-ux_defconfig which does not have any native drivers enabled.

Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de