Hello!

Daniel Potts danielp at ok-labs.com
Sat Feb 15 06:46:26 CET 2014

On 15 Feb 2014, at 2:04 pm, "Blaine Garst" <blaine at mac.com> wrote:

>>> But what about my suspicion?  Seems like “swap thread registers system
>>> call” will alone be more expensive in both time (I avoid the need to
>>> do so) and space (since there are no nano-kernel threads waiting for
>>> activation).  Anybody have my same hunch?
>>
>> Overall, I think that current kernels do what's architecturally possible
>> regarding IPC.
>
> Sorry, but I disagree, because the software architecture is wrong.
>
> Change the architecture and more speed is possible.

That's quite an assertion. Sure - change the APIs, remove functionality, etc, and you'll get it down maybe. But it won't be an L4 system.

You do realize some implementations of L4 IPC are sub 50 cycles with full address space switch?? A lot has happened since 1992!! You've got a lot of reading (papers and code) to do.

My two cents: one of the big problems we have today with IPC latency in microkernels is all the nasty errata that production CPUs seem to have making what should be a fast operation orders of magnitude slower. Another big issue is misuse of IPC..

Perhaps focusing somehow on those would be more interesting.