Library dependencies missing: stdlibs in directory

Björn Döbel doebel at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Fri Feb 21 09:01:28 CET 2014

Hello,

> Amazing thing is, I didn't do half (actually close to zero) of that
> stuff the first time around, so how it still worked is a mystery!

Fact is, it didn't.

> This - now modified with new paths -
>
> qhello () { core=~/core
> fiasco=$core/l4re-snapshot-2013123021/src/kernel/fiasco/fiasco-build/fiasco

x86_bin=$core/l4re-build/bin/x86_586
> l4f=$x86_bin/l4f
>
> DISPLAY=":0" \ qemu-system-i386 \ -kernel $x86_bin/bootstrap \
> -append "bootstrap -modaddr 0x01100000" \ -initrd "$fiasco
> -serial_esc\ ,$l4f/sigma0\ ,$l4f/moe --init=rom/$1\ ,$l4f/l4re\
> ,$l4f/$1" \ -serial stdio }
>
> - must have been a pretty good function, right? :) Perhaps you
> should publish that tutorial on the home page?

When you download the L4Re snapshot and unpack the tarball you end up
with a directory such as l4re-core-<snapshotname>. In the top level of
this directory there is a file called README, which we assumed people
would find themselves attracted to ... read. Quoting from this file
from now on...

QEMU
====

 To run the built system under QEMU, go to an appropriate l4/
 obj-directory of your choice, such as obj/l4/x86, and run:
   make qemu
 This will display a dialog menu to let you choose an entry to boot. For
 example, choose 'hello' and you should see the system starting and
finally
 see "Hello World" scroll by periodically.

> If you don't count the O= stuff,
>
> Makeconf.local

Tips and tricks
===============

 If you're just building for one build directory you can do the
 following to avoid the O=... argument on every make call.

 Put O=/path/to/the/build-dir into L4DIR/Makeconf.local

> Makeconf.boot

Configuring Images and Search Paths
===================================

 The configuration file to configure the contents of images and
 generally the entries to boot is
   src/l4/conf/modules.list
 containing entries sections with modules for each entries listed.
 The search paths required to find the binaries and files are configured
 through Makeconf.boot file(s). Locations in the the src-directory as
 well as in the obj-directories are checked. The locations are
   src/l4/conf/Makeconf.boot and obj-dir/conf/Makeconf.boot.
 The paths can be configured globally or per make target. Please refer
 to src/l4/conf/Makeconf.boot.example for usage examples.

> mk/tmpl/inst

Adding your own code
====================

[..]

The directory l4/mk/tmpl contains a template package directory layout
structure and shows how a package might look like. It also contains
examples on what to do in the Makefiles.

> were all new to me.

Done quoting for now.

We highly appreciate any hints on how to improve that documentation.
Claiming it isn't there doesn't help us a lot, though.

Cheers,
Bjoern