Compiling packages for L4 kernel & patches

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Thu Apr 17 00:17:05 CEST 2014

On Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 09:27:08 -0500, Asus Ceaser wrote:
> If I were to use the Fiasco.OC kernel on my Gentoo box, all of my Linux
> applications will work appropriately without any special tinkering, is this
> correct.   And would I also be able to get packages without having to
> specially compile them to run on L4.

I assume you're talking about L4Linux. L4Linux is a virtualized Linux
that runs (unmodified) Linux binaries, including whole distributions.
L4Linux itself is an L4 program.

> I used to think that if I only had Genode that I would have to specially
> compile packages, but now for some reason I am unsure.

You have to do that in the same was as you would do on Linux. Either you
get binaries from someone else or you compile them from source yourself.
Genode and L4Re are OSs on their own, so not Linux binary compatible.

> Also since L4 utilizes Linux, all of the Linux patches that are out there
> would still be able to work for Fiasco.OC, right?

Linux patches can be applied to L4Linux, however it's not a Linux
running on x86 bare metal but on L4, so it's slightly different.

Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de