Adding a new scheduling algorithm to Fiasco.OC

Valentin Hauner valentinhauner at gmx.de
Thu Jul 3 12:09:06 CEST 2014

Hi Adam,

thank you, that makes things clearer to me, especially the information
of the timer for managing preemption.

In a previous mail, you stated that a thread has a Sched_context object
embedded that stores scheduling-related information. However, I cannot
find a 1:1 relation from a Thread to a Sched_context object.
I've found various calls of the sched_context() method in 'thread.cpp',
which is defined in 'context.cpp'. Furthermore, there are several calls
of the current() method in 'thread.cpp' (returning the current context),
which is defined in 'context_base.cpp'.

So my main question is: What is the exact relation of a Thread object to
all these classes?

I assume that a Context object is cpu-specific, i.e. each Context object
points to its home cpu. Is that right? This would make sense since there
is a home_cpu attribute and a schedule() method in that class that
handles the scheduling on a certain cpu.

But what's the matter with Sched_context?
It seems to me that there is no 1:1 relation from a Thread to a
Sched_context since the sched_context() method called in 'thread.cpp' is
defined in 'context.cpp'. So is a Sched_context cpu-specific, too? This
would not make sense to me as a Sched_context object stores
thread-specific information such as the priority and the remaining
quantum of a thread.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Valentin