Doubt about fiasco-l4re on FastModels

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Thu Aug 21 23:36:08 CEST 2014

On Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 18:41:25 +0200, Maria Soler wrote:
> I want to have a scenario where fiasco-l4re runs in the secure world
> and Linux runs in the non-secure world. For this I am using the
> CortexA15x1 model in FastModels. I am using the snapshot 2014053111
> for fiasco-l4re. I have already compiled and am able to run
> fiasco-l4re in the secure side.
>
> At the moment I am trying to make the example pkg/examples/sys/vm-tz
> work (included in the L4 version available at
> http://svn.tudos.org/repos/oc/tudos/trunk/), but I have been
> unsuccessful so far. I have added the header files that were missing
> and have been able to compile the example but it fails when I execute
> it. Has any of you tried to run this example on FastModels? Do you
> have any ideas why it may fail? It fails both when running the version
> of fiasco-l4re where it originally appears (with "terminate called
> after throwing an instance of 'N2L413Runtime_errorE'") and also in the
> latest version (with "L4Re[rm]: unhandled write page fault @0
> pc=100b868").

Frankly, I haven't tried the example in quite a bit. Please always use
the latest version. Could you check with objdump or gdb what's there at
0x100b868 in the code?
Did you adapt some of the addresses used in the example for use with
your platform? For example, if you're using a Versatile Express
platform, then probably ram-bases need to be adjusted. You also need to
hide the part used the NS side from the secure side in this example.
Best done by giving half (or similar) of RAM to the secure side and
adjusting the example program to give the other half to the NS side.

> Also I would like to know why this example is not included in more
> recent versions of fiasco-l4re. I am particularly interested in
> fiasco-l4re running on TrustZone in secure mode and something else
> running in the non secure mode. I would like to know if there is any
> other example that does something similar and is more recent (and
> works on FastModels, ideally) or if there is a better way to do this.

That is the only example currently. I'm wondering why you do not see in
the latest version? For me, it is still there at
http://svn.tudos.org/repos/oc/tudos/trunk/l4/pkg/examples/sys/vm-tz/

Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de