l4/sys/syscalls.h: No such file or directory

Valentin Hauner valentinhauner at gmx.de
Sat Aug 23 15:12:01 CEST 2014

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

On 08/21/2014 11:49 PM, Adam Lackorzynski wrote:
> The main issue is that you start 2 threads and then immediately leave
> the main function, which exits your program and would also destroy all
> threads. But it does not get so far...
>
> Each thread needs to have a unique UTCB. In this example, you could fix
> it like this:
>     l4re_env()->first_free_utcb = (l4_addr_t)l4re_env()->first_free_utcb + L4_UTCB_OFFSET;
> Remember that the size of the initial UTCB area is limited, so this only
> works  a few times (allocating more is possible).
>
> As both threads use the same UTCB this could result in the behavior
> you're seeing.

I've tried both of your suggestions, but none of them solved the problem.
Then I've added
> l4re_util_cap_free_um(thread_caps[x]);
at the end of each thread function and now the exception does not appear
any more. All output ("Hello World ...") is produced as supposed to be.

I've attached the modified source file for your convenience. Note that
the idling of the main thread (lines 109 f.) as well as the manipulation
of first_free_utcb (line 99) are _commented out_.

Obviously, both created threads can go on although the main thread has
already ended? Why?
Is it right that the manipulation of first_free_utcb is necessary only
when there is any IPC? In my example, none of the threads is
communicating via the message registers.

Best regards,
Valentin