Physical memory allocation to L4linux

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Mon Sep 15 00:21:59 CEST 2014

On Wed Sep 10, 2014 at 07:46:20 +0000, Masti  Ramya Jayaram wrote:
> thanks a lot for the replies. I still have a few questions/clarifications though. :-)
>
> a. Is there a way to implement the "MODE=sigma" for linux? I could not find anything that points to it.

That could be done but would require some bigger rework. What would be
the benefit?

> b. Now if I were to tweak the page fault handler in sigma, then does
> that imply that even a corrupt moe/ned/l4linux cannot get access to
> the protected part of the address space?

Sigma0 is the root of all memory, so if there are some regions that are
excluded then noone can access it.

> c. Who are the clients of this page fault handler? Is it just what
> runs on top of sigma like moe, ned, l4linux or even faisco?

This particular pf-handler is just for sigma0.

> d. If it is just moe, ned, l4linux, then can I use the same page fault
> trick to ensure that (moe,ned,sigma) they always get memory from a
> certain dedicated region?

Hmm, no. Do you mean with "certain dedicated region" to exclude some
other?

Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de