is there a way to run the compiled arm on Nexus S ?

Matthias Lange matthias.lange at kernkonzept.com
Mon Oct 27 10:30:03 CET 2014

Hi,

On 10/22/2014 12:01 AM, Adam Lackorzynski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue Oct 21, 2014 at 18:10:46 +0200, cem akpolat wrote:
>> I have compiled couple of days ago l4android for arm architecture, and now
>> I want to boot it on Nexus S, however, I couldn't find a way to tun
>> bootstrapLinuxAndroid.elf file on arm based architecture. I have already
>>
>> How could be l4android booted on the Nexus S?
>
> I do not have particular experience with the Nexus S in this regard.
> Typically, when doing such work, a working UART and/or JTAG interface is
> essential to have. To get access to those, given they are accessible on
> the PCB, one has to solder some cables or do similar things. The UART
> can also be exposed via the USB port, typically using some special cable
> which triggers this mode.

Given the Nexus S was built by Samsung the USB port seems promising.
However, there is a third option using the audio jack [0].

> With a working JTAG connection and setup one
> can load the image into the device and also debug it from there
> including getting UART-like messages. Without JTAG, loading the image
> might be tricky, and cumbersome. Flashing via Download/Recovery mode is
> one option, or having a boot loader on the device that can do USB (such
> as u-boot). Now when there's code running, some device-specific drivers
> are necessary, such as input (buttons, touch) and display. You're lucky
> when the boot loader left the display and framebuffer logic intact so
> you can just use it already properly configured. If not, there's some
> more work to do. And then it goes on...
>
> Using a dev-board is much more convenient here as it has far better
> accessibility to debugging connectors and very likely a usable
> boot-loader with regard to loading images (network, USB).

Matthias.

[0] http://www.accuvant.com/blog/building-a-nexus-4-uart-debug-cable

--
Matthias Lange, matthias.lange at kernkonzept.com, +49 - 351 - 41 88 86 14

Kernkonzept GmbH.  Sitz: Dresden.  Amtsgericht Dresden, HRB 31129.
Geschäftsführer: Dr.-Ing. Michael Hohmuth