libfs/ FUSE on L4Re

Stark, Josef j.stark at tum.de
Mon Dec 8 23:11:47 CET 2014

Hello,

>https://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/~fpester/fuse-l4re.tar.gz

so I was able to get the provided version of libfs to compile
on the latest snapshot of L4Re simply by changing
"L4::Server_object_t<L4fs>" to "L4::Server_object" (line 40 in libfs/include/svr.h).

However, I am not sure if that was the right thing to do,
but I wasn't able to test it since I don't know how to use libfs.

By the way: What I want to get is a machine-global temporary file system
using tmpfs and libfs.

I think that the client simply needs to be linked with
"libl4revfs-fs-l4fs" and then do a mount call with "l4fs" as the fs type and
the same mount path that the server uses (or use libmount accordingly).

But I have no clue about the server. It most probably also needs to be
linked with the respective library ("libfs-svr") but I think that's not
enough. I guess the messages explicitly must be forwarded to the
target file system.
If this is right, again I don't know how to do it,
since the server (which mounts the tmpfs) receives VFS calls
over IPC but has no direct access to the VFS "interface" of the tmpfs,
only the standard (POSIX?) functions like fopen(), fclose(), fread() etc.

I am a bit lost here, so I would really appreciate any help.

Also,
>It exists in the internal tree, it was just never promoted to go public.

does this mean that at one point there was a version
of libfs that worked but wasn't continued and thus
doesn't work on the current snapshot anymore,
or is libfs still being maintained and just not present in the public tree?

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Josef