Physical memory allocation to L4linux

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Tue Sep 9 23:16:37 CEST 2014

On Tue Sep 09, 2014 at 16:03:11 +0000, Masti  Ramya Jayaram wrote:
> I would like to explain my situation better. Here is what I intend:
>
> a. What is the lowest module (bootstrap, fiasco, sigma, moe,
> ned,l4linux) that can be confined not access a portion of the address
> space?

Without changing anything and with this list of program, it's just
L4Linux. Reason is that ned typically has a cap to sigma0 because it
needs to give it to io.
When you would like to make a little change, in Fiasco there's a
function handle_sigma0_page_fault that covers page-fault by sigma0. So
if you add a check on pfa there and return false you should be able to
exclude a memory region from any user program.

> I know that bootstrap and fiasco run in privileged mode, so there is
> no way to stop them. What is the next module?
>
> b. Assuming that it is sigma, I would like to do the following:
>  Have three regions in the physical address space (not necessarily memory):
>
> i) one for bootstrap, fiasco
> ii) moe, ned, sigma, l4linux
> iii). Special region accessible only from (i) - bootstrap and fiasco.
>
> If it is not possible to confine sigma, i.e., "hide a portion of the
> address space from it", then add sigma to lists (i,iii) and remove it
> from (ii) - and so on for the other modules.
>
> If it is moe, could my goal be reached by adding an IO device as a
> blocker but then not give moe the corresponding capability?

In the stack moe is below any notion of an IO device, so that would not
work.

Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de