Device Driver Terminology

Gernot Heiser gernot at cse.unsw.edu.au
Wed Jan 21 09:05:52 CET 2015

> On 20 Jan 2015, at 3:00 , teclis High Elf <teclis.high.elf at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> In QNX they call them resource managers because they perform the same function as a device driver in a monolithic OS such as Linux but they run in their own address space like a POSIX process and behave like daemon.

… except if they are needed for real-time tasks, in which case they must run in the kernel. QNX propaganda has a certain divergence with the source, at least last time we looked at it. And given their pace of innovation, I suspect not much has changed.

Take-away: don’t get distracted by commercial PR. And yes, just call drivers “drivers”, as Björn suggests

Gernot