kobject kinvoke from ned

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Sat Jan 31 00:25:46 CET 2015

On Wed Jan 28, 2015 at 10:02:38 -0500, teclis High Elf wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
>
> I am creating a new kernel object and wanted to be able to send commands to
> it directly from a ned script. I thought something like this was possible
> because I saw in l4/pkg/ned/doc/ned.dox:
>
> "The concrete behavior of
> the object and the number of IPC gates required by a server depends on the
> server implementation.  The channel can the be passed to client
> applications as
> well or can be used for operations within the script itself."
>

> So it gave me the impression that an IPC gate can be used to send an io
> stream directly from a ned script. Essentially I want to write something
> similar to
>  http://l4re.org/doc/examples_2clntsrv_2client_8cc-example.html except in a
> ned script not in C++ and instead of an L4 server receiving the commands my
> kernel object will receive the commands. I am running ned in interactive
> mode so I wanted to use it like a basic command line interface to send
> commands to kernel objects.

In the lua package there's a small lib that has some L4-IPC<->lua glue.
It's just some experiment I've done some longer time ago. What you
describe is not possible out of the box with ned.

> Perhaps a bit off topic but still relevant, I saw that dash is included in
> the l4re source tree. Is it possible to run a dash shell directly as an
> L4Re app with out L4Linux?

Yes

> If so are there instructions for doing so that
> some one could point me to?

You can just launch it and should of course direct some input to it to be
able to type something. However, there's no launch support or similar.

Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de