Increase IPC-Stream size

Matthias Lange matthias.lange at kernkonzept.com
Thu May 28 08:43:01 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 05/27/2015 10:35 PM, ba_f wrote:
> Am 2015-05-27 00:11, schrieb Adam Lackorzynski:
>> Hi ba_f,
>>
>> On Wed May 20, 2015 at 11:40:27 +0200, ba_f wrote:
>>> i decided not to use libshmc and do it "manually" with Dataspace and
>>> IRQ,
>>> because i think this comes closest to the communication between
>>> TrustZone
>>> worlds.
>>> It's the best starting point before pushing the project to TrustZone
>>> (ie.
>>> Normal world Client and Secure Server), isn't it?
>>
>> Indeed, that really comes closer to that.
>>
>>> Anyway, i need some more help.
>>>
>>> First, get_cap<L4Re::Dataspace>("shmds") leads to a kernel warning.
>>> i guess, i dont understand that capability stuff entirely. What
>>> causes this
>>> warning?
>>
>> Generally this warning is printed when trying to pass a capability (or
>> memory) around but the source is empty. This is typically a programming
>> error. Secondly I think the warning does not come from the get_cap call.
>> That call just gets the cap from the environment where the program
>> startup has already stored it. "shmds" must be a cap that has been
>> specified in the "caps" table of your program in the lua script.
>>
>> Adam
>

> Ok, works now.
> (The Warning appeared because i did commented out 'server.loop()' and
> main() did exit with 'return 0').
>
> Anyway, i still have some question about that IRQ, and i would be
> grateful if u could answer them, too.
>
> I found two examples with IRQ: 'l4/pkg/examples/sys/map_irq' and
> 'l4/pkg/examples/libs/l4re/c++/shared_ds'.
> I guess i could easily adapt them.
>
> What makes we wonder, is that both examples make use of
> 'L4::Ipc::Iostream'. Actually, i dont see any difference between IRQ &
> IPC, since both are registered servers using
> L4.default_loader:new_channel().

I think here is a little bit of misconception.
L4.default_loader:new_channel() creates a new IPC gate (from Lua) which
can be used by threads to send IPC messages. (Virtual) IRQs are a
different type of kernel object but the trigger() function eventually
maps to IPC. You can read about the different kernel objects here [1].
You should also make yourself familiar with the Factory API which is
used to create new kernel objects.

> I guess, IPC is build upon IRQ?
>
> However, you said that IPC is not possible between TrustZone worlds,
> because each world has a separate microkernel instance. I reason there
> is no L4.default_loader:new_channel() possible between worlds?
> Do u have an example design for TZ communication?

Your observation is right. Essentially you have to use the 'smc'
instruction (secure monitor call) to initiate a mode switch. The
exception handler on the secure side then can evaluate the SMC value to
determine the service requested.

Matthias.

[1]
https://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/L4Re/doc/index.html#l4re_concepts_fiasco_kobjects

--
Matthias Lange, matthias.lange at kernkonzept.com, +49 - 351 - 41 88 86 14

Kernkonzept GmbH.  Sitz: Dresden.  Amtsgericht Dresden, HRB 31129.
Geschäftsführer: Dr.-Ing. Michael Hohmuth