Question about memory management in L4 Fiasco O.C + L4re

Mahdi Aichouch foxmehdi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 16:36:52 CEST 2015

Hello Adam,

If I correctly understood, and If we suppose that an L4Linux instance
is started for example with this command line options:
... earlyprintk=1 em=64M ...

This means that a 64MB of physical memory region composed of a set of
contiguous physical frames is allocated to L4Linux, right?

L4Linux will use a part of this 64MB of physical memrory for its own kernel
execution, and
the rest of physical memory space will be used by L4Linux to load
user-level programs
and allocate physical memory for them, right?

If a user-level program on top of L4Linux generates a page-fault.
Are the L4 Fiasco kernel and L4re involved in the execution flow to handle
the page-fault?

Thank you very much for your clarification.

Best regards,

Mahdi