Question: The future of Fiasco & L4Re

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Mon Jul 18 00:28:11 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Fri Jul 15, 2016 at 13:40:31 +0200, Ratko Rudič wrote:
> I've been looking at microkernels for some time and am writing a high
> overview paper about them for our faculty.
>
> Adam wrote[1] that all discussions happen mostly in-house so finding info
> about Fiasco's future is probably hard.
>
> So, if any of you hackers have a minute to spare, I'd be glad to hear what
> you intend to implement in future L4 releases. It doesn't need to have dates
> - maybe just pointers what you'd like to see in a year or so.

On a high level, nowadays features of both Fiasco and L4Re as a whole
are mostly driven by project and customer requirements, including
support for new architectures and specific features. The recently added
support for MIPS is one such example and coverage for MIPS will be
further increased. There is more in the pipe and work goes on however I
cannot share all of this yet. The aim definitely is to have additions
covered under open source.
There are also thing happening in research and development labs, people
using the system or parts of it in various, and interesting, ways, or
are extending it. However, getting the interesting bits contributed and
then even integrating them is challenging as it requires significant
resources on both sides or at least on our side. So if interests are
big enough things tend to happen :)

Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de