Is L4Linux can use its existed Linux driver to access hardware device?

Matthias Lange matthias.lange at kernkonzept.com
Tue Sep 6 17:37:50 CEST 2016

Hi,

On 09/05/2016 11:36 AM, Zhe Zhao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your answers, I really appreciate it.
>
> I tried to run L4Linux and L4Re in a qemu environment, is it support SMP
> already? I found I only have a single core L4Linux running. and Fiasco
> report only one scheduler instance.

Yes, SMP is supported. Have you configured the L4Re microkernel with
multiprocessing support? Did you start qemu with multiple CPUs? To
enable more CPUs in L4Linux you need to pass the 'l4x_cpus=<VALUE>'
parameter on the cmdline.

> And is it possible to direct reuse the L4Linux's driver instead of
> rewrite them in L4Re? is that IO manager used to mapping all needed
> device physical address to L4Linux's memory space? Is that mean I can map
> all device direct to L4Linux through IO manager?

Yes, but there might be work involved. First you should make yourself
familiar with the concepts of Io [0].

> Is there any work ongoing to support ARM64 on L4Re and L4Linux? It will
> be quite interesting consider most of the ARM device are moving to be 64
> bit arch.

We are looking at it but there is nothing to announce publicly right now

> Do you have some recommend documents for the newbie like me to get a
> quick start up?

The L4Re documentation [1].

Matthias.

[0] http://l4re.org/doc/io.html