read/write to virtual address

Daniel Krefft daniel.krefft at tum.de
Fri Feb 17 10:47:53 CET 2017

Hi,

we are well aware that memory access takes place all over the operating
system. But, comparable to a standard like POSIX, we are searching for a
standardized function (read/write, load/store, ...) to access virtual
memory. A simple example in pseudo code could be:

`void access_memory(virtual_adress_pointer, payload);`

Let's say we ask for a functionality comparable to the mentioned
privileged read/write (see third thread message). Maybe this is all done
in assembly code and there is no specific C/C++ high level function?

Thanks
Daniel

On 16.02.2017 23:54, Adam Lackorzynski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu Feb 16, 2017 at 13:14:07 +0100, Daniel Krefft wrote:
>> We want to know, at which place within the operating system/kernel
>> (l4re/fiasco.oc) memory access takes place. This means, which concrete
>> functions address the MMU (load/store) or handle the read/write virtual
>> memory operations?
>
> I'm sorry I still have a hard time to make sense out of your question.
> I'll try to explain where my difficulties come from. In code like
> "c = a + b;" we have 2 loads and 1 store. Those happen in virtual memory
> and are generated by the compiler. Thus load and store instructions are
> everywhere, both in the kernel and in any user-level application and
> thus the answer to you question could be: memory accesses are all over
> the place.
>

> Adam
>
>> On 16.02.2017 00:18, Adam Lackorzynski wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> As the description says through this functions is it possible to
>>> read/write from/to device memory in the case the device only allows
>>> access from privileged processor more. There are some of those devices
>>> out there where even the switch to allow access from user-mode is
>>> broken. I guess nobody ever noticed. Those functions are only required
>>> for those specific devices where it's necessary, i.e. not in any normal

daniel.krefft at tum.de
www.os.in.tum.de/personen/krefft