xorriso : FAILURE : Not a known command

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Wed May 31 11:07:22 CEST 2017

Hi,

i proposed as test for modern released grub-mkrescue binary:

Leslie Zhai wrote:
> My local is grub2-XXX so strings /usr/bin/grub2-mkrescue | grep '^--usage'
> --usage

So this test (or an equivalent one) would tell whether a binary
grub-mkrescue needs no argument "--" between its own options and
the user provided options for xorriso's mkisofs emulation.

Your proposed patch compensates for the effect of "--" on the modern
released version of grub-mkrescue.
But i would rather propose to suppress the "--" in this case and to
stay in mkisofs emulation mode and option -f. Mixing both modes of
xorriso is well possible, but might lead to unexpected results for people
who are only used to the behavior of mkisofs.

So the next step propose is to find out which arguments are handed to
grub-mkrescue and from where in the Perl code the argument "--" stems.
This code part would have to become conditional depending on the detected
binary version of grub-mkrescue.

The old script grub-mkrescue needs no argument "--" at the start of the
xorriso -as mkisofs options. So it is compatible with the expectations
of the modern released binary version.
I.e. the current state of Grub.pm could be incompatible with the old
script, too.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas