Problem with L4re and L4Linux on Qemu/VMware

Daniel (Xiaolong) Wang xiaolongw at mail.usf.edu
Fri Jun 23 19:08:15 CEST 2017

Thank you very much Adam! I pressed entered but no matter what I do it just hang there without loading the Linux kernel. It is the same situation on both QEMU and VMware.

I think it might be somehow related to the virtual environment (QEMU or VMware). After I tried that I decided to test on a real board, then it works (even though it shows some weird problems). I think it might be helpful to post here, in case there are newbies like me who is also confused (I’m sure lots of people in this community knew this already). My test board is a BeagleBone Black (BBB).

1. I first compiled the fiasco kernel: (Architecture -> ARM processor family, Platform -> TI OMAP, CPU -> ARM Cortex-A8 CPU)
# make B=build-armx335
# cd build-arm335
# make config CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi-

2. Compiled L4re: (Target Architecture -> ARM, CPU variant -> ARMv7A type CPU, Platform Selection -> TI OMAP AM33x)
# make O=builddir config CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi-

3. Compiled L4Linux: (setup L4Linux Configuration path, Target architecture -> ARM architecture, System type -> Build type -> Use ARMv7)
# make O=build-arm arm_defconfig
# make O=build-arm menuconfig

4. build uboot-able image
copy all modules (fiasco + vmlinuz + cfg + modules.list + ramdisk-arm.rd + arm-rv.io <http://arm-rv.io/>, etc.) to ${L4re/buildDir/bin/arm_armv7a}
# make uimage O=build-arm MODULE_SEARCH_PATH=${L4re/buildDir/bin/arm_armv7a} CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi-

5. make a new FAT32 SD card, then copy the new built bootstrap_L4Linux-basic.uimage into the SD card (BBB already has a built-in uboot-SPL in ROM).

6. boot the BBB and press enter to interrupt the uboot default procedure (initially I was using uboot go command, that does not work).
# fathead mmc 0 ${loadaddr} bootstrap_L4Linux-basic.uimage
# bootm ${loadaddr}

Finally I see the L4Linux gets boot (attached log). But I’m not sure if I did anything wrong or because the hardware issue. After the L4Linux boot, in 5 seconds the terminal print out the following and reboot into the onboard Linux (see the attached log file):

	# _fat_os: error reading image args, err - -1
	# reading u-boot.img
	# reading u-boot.img

Have anyone see this issue? Any further advice would be much appreciated!

Other Questions:
	1. Assume I got the L4Linux how can i further build a full fledge Linux environment with Libraries and drivers, I assume those things will need to somehow get into the RAMDISK, is that right? (Sorry I’m a newbie I’m not familiar with this)
	2. I want to create a native app on Fiasco+L4re and communicate with the L4Linux Ethernet driver, is there any references for constructing communication between the VM and native apps?

Thanks
-Dan