uImage Load Address Issue

Daniel (Xiaolong) Wang xiaolongw at mail.usf.edu
Fri Jul 21 20:19:09 CEST 2017

Hi All,

I’m testing L4re on a customized I.MX6 Solo-X-4 board. I found that the fiasco kernel (the simple hello world example built into an uimage) cannot be load by the U-boot. It shows “data abort". The reason I guess it is due to different loading address. The U-boot’s default $loadaddr is 0x80800000, but the uimage I build using the L4re buildsystem has:

Load Address: 11000000
Entry Point:  11000000
  ==> Installing bootstrap.uimage in image directory
  Image size(s) in bytes:
        bootstrap_hello-cfg.elf:  1470844
                  bootstrap.raw:  1437696
               bootstrap.uimage:  1437760
  Start address: 0x11000000

I used the RAM_BASE=0x8080000 option to change the starting address when I made the image (as shown below), the boot did not crash but the kernel hangs at “Starting kernel..."

Load Address: 01000000
Entry Point:  01000000
  ==> Installing bootstrap.uimage in image directory
  Image size(s) in bytes:
        bootstrap_hello-cfg.elf:  1470844
                  bootstrap.raw:  1437696
               bootstrap.uimage:  1437760
  Start address: 0x801000000

I think it is still related to the different load address. But I do not know how to fix it. I would really appreciate if someone can point me to a right direction.

Thanks
-Dan