names - DROPS Name Service
Names is a simple name service for DROPS. It provides a mapping of names
(strings) to L4
s and vice versa.
Names implements the following primitives:
- register a name with a thread_id
- unregister name
- unregister all names registered for a certain task
- query thread_id of a name
- query name of a thread_id
- query all registered thread_id's
Names enforces a string being registered at most once at a certain time.
The number of names
that can be registered is NAMES_MAX_ENTRIES
, the maximum name length is NAMES_MAX_NAME_LEN
. These values are defined in libnames.h
Security is currently not a big thing in names. A thread can register a name for an arbitrary thread_id - and unregister it as well.
The DROPS Name Service is implemented as an L4 server. Currently it has only one command line option:
- -verbose <verbosity>
- If lt;verbositygt; is 1 all register and unregister requests are logged. With lt;verbositygt; set to 2 also all query requests are logged.
The library libnames.a - names client API library
provides a convenient way to access the DROPS Name Service through a set of C function calls.