NUL - The NOVA UserLand
The NOVA OS Virtualization Architecture
is a research project aimed at constructing a secure virtualization
environment with a small trusted computing base. NOVA consists of a
microhypervisor and an
user environment running on top of it.
NUL is the multi-server user environment designed for NOVA. It is
componentized into host-drivers, device models and virtual
executors. From these components applications are build. The
most prominent apps are the Partition Manager, called sigma0, and
the x86 VMM (Virtual-Machine Monitor) called Vancouver.
The Partition Manager statically partitions the platform resources
such as memory or CPU. Device drivers, for example for the disk
and the graphics card, are linked to it. Moving them out to their
own tasks is currently work in progress.
The VMM allows to run unmodified guest operating systems ontop of
the microhypervisor. It contains the virtual device models to
give an OS the illusion of running on bare hardware. Furthermore
it emulates realmode and MMIO instructions and provides a virtual
- 17 February 2011
- NUL 0.3 prereleased.
- Contains the VMM Vancouver, the Partition Manager sigma0 and demo applications.
- Adopted to the latest NOVA release.
- Download the NUL sources v0.3 prerelease.
- Test it using the new demo CD.
- 6 August 2010
- NUL 0.2 prereleased.
- 27 April 2010
- Clarified license plates.
- 24 December 2009
- NUL prereleased.
- First prerelease of software running ontop of the NOVA microhypervisor.
- Contains the VMM Vancouver, the Partition Manager sigma0 and two demo applications.
- Download the NUL sources v0.1 prerelease.
- 24 December 2009
- NOVA Xmas Alpha Demo CD available.
- Precompiled NOVA microhypervisor, sigma0 and VMM binaries.
- Showcases Linux, Fiasco and Pistachio as guest operating systems in a VM.
- Runs on bare hardware that has Intel VT-x or AMD-V support. It does not run on Qemu.
- Download the NOVA Xmas-Alpha Demo CD.
- 23 December 2009
- NOVA microhypervisor prereleased.
- Runs on 32-bit x86 machines.
- A platform with Intel VT-x or AMD-V NPT is required for running guest operating systems in VMs.
- SMP is supported, but not required.
- See the NOVA microhypervisor website.
Last modified: Thu Dec 24 16:16:42 CET 2009