L4Linux and L4Re communication

Irvanda Kurniadi irvanda.k at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 08:52:15 CEST 2014

Hi,

This thread is just a sequel from
http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/pipermail/l4-hackers/2013/006108.html

Bjoern said:

> The idea behind L4Linux is to run native Linux applications, so hello
> world in L4Linux works just as the version you would write in your
> local Linux.
>
> Running an application that communicates with both L4 and Linux is a
> bit more involved. L4Linux applications don't talk to L4 apps
> directly. The L4Linux kernel is an L4 app though, so it can do this
> talking for you. The missing link then is to write a Linux device
> driver that allows your Linux program to talk to the L4Linux kernel,
> which then in turn communicates with an external L4 application.

In term of running hello world in L4Linux, I can run it by passing -m32
-static in the compilation process. But, now I'm having a problem in
running the mpi-based application on L4Linux which this apps needs the mpi
library to be able to run. I have ported the mpi library and run the apps
over L4Re by using Ned. So, based on the explanation above, I don't
understand how to run the mpi-based program on top L4Linux in which the
L4Linux definitely doesn't have mpi-library because the mpi-library is
existed in L4Re. Is it like this, the l4linux kernel needs the device
driver to communicate with external L4 apps (in my case mpi-base apps),
then to trigger the communication we should make the kernel module (linux
program to talk to the l4linux kernel). Am I right? Can you point one
example, which is similar with my case, that can be followed by me?

Thanks,
Irvanda