Checking executables before running them in L4re/fiasco

Masti Ramya Jayaram rmasti at inf.ethz.ch
Fri Sep 5 14:29:15 CEST 2014

Hey Adam,

Thanks for the information. I have two issues/questions:

a. I looked at the move_modules (which does not do much in my case) and I tried to replace the linux.cfg from

Compiled in version:
------vim:set ft=lua:

L4.default_loader:start({ caps = {
      log = L4.Env.log:m("rws"),
    },
    l4re_dbg = L4.Dbg.Warn,
    log = { "l4linux", "yellow" },
  }, "rom/vmlinuz mem=128M console=ttyLv0,115200 l4x_rd=rom/ramdisk-x86.rd root=1:0 ramdisk_size=4000 l4ser.vkey_enable=1");

Replaced version: (just the memory changes but this results in a difference in the length!)
--vim:set ft=lua:
L4.default_loader:start({ caps = {
      log = L4.Env.log:m("rws"),
    },
    l4re_dbg = L4.Dbg.Warn,
    log = { "l4linux", "yellow" },
  }, "rom/vmlinuz mem=64M console=ttyLv0,115200 l4x_rd=rom/ramdisk-x86.rd root=1:0 ramdisk_size=4000 l4ser.vkey_enable=1");

I achieve this with the following code that runs immediately after construct_mbi:

a. Copy the placed version into the start address of the linux_cfg module (this happens correctly as I can see the memory dump).
b. Change the compressed and uncompressed lengths in mod_info to reflect the smaller size.

The process runs until ned  which fails to parse the config file (unexpected symbol error) and the problem seems to be the difference in length of the two configs. For example, if the 2nd config is "mem=064M" instead of "mem=64M", then it works. I change the length appropriately in mod_info of the mbi. What am I missing?

a. The "MODE = sigma0" suggestion: I tried this by changing bootstrap/server/src/Make.rules but I get an error saying: "ld: cannot find -ll4util". The relevant part in the linker line that differs from the default working build (with "MODE = lib") is:

 ==> Linking bootstrap.elf

-Tbootstrap.ld --start-group   -ll4util -ll4sys -luc_c -static -nostdlib -ldrivers_uart  -lcxx_base -lcxx_io  -luc_c /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.3/32/libgcc.a --end-group --warn-common -Ttext=0x2d0000 /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.3/32//crtend.o /home/rmasti/fiasco/r33-new/src/l4/build/lib/x86_pentium/crtn.o

The linker line with "MODE = lib" (the difference seems to be that l4util, l4sys, etc are not really there in the commandline)

==> Linking bootstrap.elf
-Tbootstrap.ld  --start-group    -static -nostdlib -ldrivers_uart  -lcxx_base -lcxx_io  -luc_c /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.3/32/libgcc.a --end-group --warn-common -Ttext=0x2d0000 /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.3/32//crtend.o  /home/rmasti/fiasco/r33-new/src/l4/build/lib/x86_pentium/crtn.o

Why does this happen? What is the relevant modules.list entry for this mode?

Thanks,
ramya