Fiasco.OC-UX and recent Linux kernels

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon May 11 11:38:42 CEST 2015

Hello,

I have been experimenting a little with L4/Fiasco.OC and have been trying to
gradually build up my skills by looking at Fiasco.OC-UX. However, there are a
few things that aren't really very clear to me from looking at the
documentation.

Looking at the L4Re and Fiasco documentation, it appears that I first build
L4Re normally...

http://l4re.org/build.html

...and then I need to build Fiasco.OC...

http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/fiasco/build.html

...but indicating the "Linux Usermode Platform" in the "Platform" section of
the "Target configuration" when doing "make config".

The documentation mentions doing "make ux E=hello", but I found that a
MODULE_SEARCH_PATH was required. Otherwise, the Makefile directs a script to
look in directories of the L4Re build hierarchy that don't exist...

http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/fiasco/ux-using.html

Having got this far, running "make ux" with the necessary options gave me the
following error:

openpty: No such file or directory
Problems setting up timer interrupt!
Aborted

I did start to wonder whether there might be permission issues, whether the UX
mode is no longer supported, or whether it isn't supported on Linux 3.x
kernels. (I use User Mode Linux a lot and never have to do so as a privileged
user, by the way.) The documentation seems to indicate that a 2.6 kernel is
required...

http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/fiasco/ux-status.html

...which probably few people run on a desktop or laptop any more, but for the
record I am using the 32-bit x86 architecture and not amd64/x86-64, and my
distribution is Debian Wheezy.

Am I trying something which I shouldn't expect to work? A perusal of the
mailing list archives didn't really provide any obvious answers.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Paul