dde kit

Björn Döbel doebel at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Fri Mar 13 15:20:10 CET 2015

Hi,

sounds reasonable. The idea of DDE is that you can reuse an existing
Linux driver on top of L4Re without modifications. (Caveat: the
DDE/Linux interface is currently still 2.6.29). So you might let your
students write and test their driver for Linux before moving to a
Fiasco/L4Re-based platform.

As for how this is done, dde/linux26/examples contains two ethernet
drivers using DDE/Linux. And then there is the Ankh network
multiplexer that incorporates a couple of more NIC drivers from Linux.

Note the distinction between DDE and DDEKit: DDE is the wrapper that
allows you to reuse Linux drivers. DDEKit is a substrate below that
and provides a kind-of generic device interface. That means, instead
of writing a Linux driver and linking it with DDE/Linux, you might
also directly write an L4Re device driver using the DDEKit interface.
This has the benefit that you only have to understand a single
interface instead of digging deeper into Io, Memory allocation etc.

If you don't mind the latter, you can of course as a third option also
write your driver as a native L4Re application and directly issue the
respective calls to the IO server.

Bjoern