mmu in bootstrap

Matthias Lange matthias.lange at kernkonzept.com
Thu Apr 16 10:14:47 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 04/16/2015 04:14 AM, 水镜 wrote:
> hi,
> i want to know, whether the bootstrap in l4re(x86) will initialize the
> MMU, setup pagetable?

Yes and no. On i386 bootstrap will only move the modules to their
respective locations and then it starts the kernel. Fiasco takes care of
setting up an initial pagetable before switching paging on.

On x86_64 the picture is a little bit different as bootstrap already
switches the CPU into long mode. Switching into long mode requires
paging to be setup up and switched on. That's why bootstrap creates a
simple identity mapped pagetable which is handed over to the kernel.
Fiasco uses that pagetable intially before creating its own one.

Best,
Matthias.

--
Matthias Lange, matthias.lange at kernkonzept.com, +49 - 351 - 41 88 86 14

Kernkonzept GmbH.  Sitz: Dresden.  Amtsgericht Dresden, HRB 31129.
Geschäftsführer: Dr.-Ing. Michael Hohmuth