uImage Load Address Issue

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sat Jul 22 21:13:47 CEST 2017

On Friday 21. July 2017 20.19.09 Daniel (Xiaolong) Wang wrote:

> I’m testing L4re on a customized I.MX6 Solo-X-4 board. I found that the
> fiasco kernel (the simple hello world example built into an uimage) cannot
> be load by the U-boot. It shows “data abort". The reason I guess it is due
> to different loading address.

My own experiences with U-Boot are that it should be able to deduce the
correct addresses for loading and execution from the image. However, you need
to be aware of the memory that U-Boot is using itself because overwriting that
is obviously going to cause problems.

I imagine that it is also worthwhile to know exactly what U-Boot is doing to
initialise the machine. My experiences, admittedly with another architecture,
involved U-Boot in different forms that did different levels of initialisation
depending on where it had been installed (NAND, SD, and so on).

[...]

>   Start address: 0x801000000
>
> I think it is still related to the different load address. But I do not
> know how to fix it. I would really appreciate if someone can point me to a
> right direction.

The above start address looks too "long": it has more than eight digits and
won't be a 32-bit value any more. Maybe that doesn't make a difference on your
platform, though.

Paul