read/write to virtual address

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Tue Feb 14 23:29:30 CET 2017

Hi,

On Tue Feb 14, 2017 at 10:38:26 +0100, Daniel Krefft wrote:
> while working on a checkpoint/restore mechanism for fiasco.oc, we want
> to trace read and write (kernel) calls to (virtual) memory.
>
> 1) Where are these calls defined? We're just able to find ARM specific
> calls inside the kernel, which allow writing and reading to/from a
> virtual address
>
> 2) Are these calls (if existent) platform agnostic (user-space)? Is
> there any kind of interface?

I do not quite get the question. The kernel (Fiasco) is running in
virtual memory, also when running in the kernel, i.e. any load/store
operation that is in the code is through virtual memory.
Do you want to trace any read/write issued by the kernel to user-level
memory? I'm afraid, the kernel does not do that, i.e. it never touches
user-level memory (except the specially treated UTCB memory).
Could you please describe your question more verbosely?