L4/Fiasco kernel debugger (jdb) and step over command

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Thu Jan 18 00:41:43 CET 2018

On Tue Jan 16, 2018 at 01:38:18 +0300, Valery V. Sedletski wrote:
> On 29.12.2017 01:27, Adam Lackorzynski wrote:

> > > So, I need to add the GDB stub to a microkernel somehow? Is this an option
> > > somewhere in Fiasco configuration menu?
> > No. The GDB stub is already there in QEMU, allowing to debug what is
> > running inside QEMU. Just try it out :)
> >

> > Adam
> Ok, didn't used remote debugging in QEMU, yet, but I had some experience
> with Bochs' built-in debugger. Sorry for asking such naive questions :) Now
> I tried to debug the Fiasco microkernel, together with L4Env and my
> application, in GDB, attaching to QEMU GDB stub. So, I attach GDB to QEMU,
> load a symbol table into GDB from my binary with "symbol-file" command, set
> a breakpoint to one of the symbols, then the breakpoint triggers
> successfully. But when I try to single-step my program with "next" or "step"
> commands, I suddenly switch into kernel, or another thread, due to context
> switch. Or even worse, instead of single-stepping my program, it continues
> its execution, as if I used the "continue" command.

I can just guess but probably, as this is a whole OS running inside
QEMU, the timer is running with wall clock time and thus triggers
everytime you let it run, and thus the immediate transition to the kernel.

> Also, inserting "int 3" command into my program doesn't seem to work as
> well. I try sending two debug messages into the COM port, and insert an "int
> 3" instruction between them. I see both messages in the debug output, but
> "int 3" won't trigger (and no TRAP 3 occurs at all). I expected that the GDB
> stub has a corresponding trap handler, but it seems to be "iret" only.

Again I can just guess but I'd hope that would be a feature of QEMU to
intercept those breakpoints added by its GDB stub. If that does not
work, hmm.

> So, are there any hints how could I single-step my program in GDB, avoiding
> task switches? Is it possible to debug my task/thread specifically,
> restricting the execution to a single task/thread? Is it possible to make
> "int 3" trigger?

I first try should be to disable the timer when you're at the point to
debug. I'm not sure which platform you're on but maybe you could just
disable the timer (i.e. clear the enable bit in the timer's control
register). I was hoping that this would be possible from QEMU monitor,
but doesn't seem to. What could be working is to disable it after some
amount of ticks, i.e. when you're sure you're in the right position. But
that would need to hacking of Fiasco.

> I know that Genode (for example), has GDB monitor application, allowing to
> debug a single application, not the whole system. Is there such tool for
> L4Re/L4Env?

I'm not aware there's anything like this for L4Env.