Building programs with MODE=shared in L4Re

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Mon May 14 21:18:04 CEST 2018

Hi Paul,

On Fri May 11, 2018 at 01:00:11 +0200, Paul Boddie wrote:
> I have been busy writing libraries and programs for L4Re and recently had to
> think about the size of the payloads I have been deploying. It appears that in
> the build system, one can use MODE=shared to build dynamically-linked
> programs, and there is a shared version of the hello example in the examples
> package.
>
> However, I don't see any recipe for doing this for other programs. My
> impression is that the dynamic linker must have all the required libraries
> deployed as modules, and so I wrote a script to generate a list of such
> modules using readelf. In addition, it appears that libl4sys-direct.so is
> required (which readelf does not detect).

It's option that available but on default most/all programs are static.

> Adding these modules to my conf/modules.list should yield success, but within
> my constrained debugging environment, I only see that "shared" programs fail
> to start. I really need to see if they start but then experience some
> initialisation problem, or whether they actually crash but Mag keeps their
> viewports around.
>
> Are there any other things that I need to consider when building and deploying
> such programs? I searched for guidance on this topic and only found the
> following:
>
> http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/pipermail/l4-hackers/2014/007094.html
> http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/pipermail/l4-hackers/2016/007830.html
>
> Both of these discussion threads only provide some details and are obviously
> not tutorials.
>
> Thanks for any clues you might be able to provide!

You can set LD_DEBUG=1 in the environment of your program to make the
dynamic loader tell you something. LD_TRACE_LOADED_OBJECTS=1 might also
be of help. Add enviroment variable settings after the program's
cmdline: ...:start({ ...}, "rom/myprog arg", { LD_DEBUG=1, ... });

Adam