L4Re Build Failure on i386 (Revision 80)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sat Aug 4 01:25:00 CEST 2018

On Friday 3. August 2018 15.49.56 Paul Boddie wrote:
> On Friday 3. August 2018 15.36.50 Adam Lackorzynski wrote:
> > On Fri Aug 03, 2018 at 00:26:45 +0200, Paul Boddie wrote:
> > > I know that the ldscripts have been changed, but I struggle to see how
> > > the above relates to them or whether they are even involved in this
> > > particular outcome. Might there be something obviously wrong somewhere
> > > in the recent changes?
> >
> > I also saw this, I currently believe this is due to the latest binutils
> > (2.31). Are you running this one?
>
> Yes, that's the one:
>
> binutils 2.31.1-2 on i386
>
> I guess I could use a more stable distribution version to see if this
> resolves the problem. I'll give it a try and report back.

A quick update, then. Quickly testing with revision 76 on Debian stable with
binutils 2.28-5, I was able to launch the framebuffer-example in UX.

However, updating to revision 80 under the same configuration, I get the
following:

fbdrv   | Trying execution of ``set VBE mode'' using x86emu
fbdrv   | L4Re[rm]: unhandled read page fault at 0xfd0 pc=0x1005155
fbdrv   | L4Re: rom/fb-drv: Unhandled exception: PC=0x1005155 PFA=fd0
LdrFlgs=0

Comparing earlier output with the successful revision, I see that the
following is missing after the BOOTFS output:

  VESAFB: [C:11c010][C:11b000] @c0000000 (size=400000)

Also, at the very beginning, the following is missing:

Starting Framebuffer: 800x600 at 32

Since the hello example works fine, I'll try and track down which part of the
framebuffer configuration went missing.

Paul

P.S. Binutils has been playing up with other software for me today, but sadly
a change of version is not the same apparently-easy fix for that other
software.