Information on implementing L4

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Fri Sep 14 09:38:23 CEST 2018

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 09:00:25AM +0200, Gábor Wacha wrote:
>    Hello,
>    I do not really want to start a flamewar about JIT and AOT, but AFAIK
>    using a JIT can introduce nondeterministic behavior (in runtime,
>    performance), which is not really wanted in a kernel. Am I correct?
>    Gabor Wacha

Mainly JIT is associated also with runtime garbage collection or GC.

JIT can even happen ahead of time just like a normal compiler, but
not with profiling (which must necessarily run at run time or with
test/ sample data), but when JIT happens at runtime, later execution
of a JITed code path will be quicker than the first execution(s) of
that same code path, depending on how the JIT is configured to run
(either first time always, or only after a path is taken say 10 times
etc).